The DRS Education Special Interest Group has announced a Call for Papers for Learn X Design 2023.
The call theme is: Futures of Design Education.
The deadline for full submission is 30 May 2023
Full details of the call can be found here: https://learnxdesign2023.wordpress.com/
From the call:
It was not possible to organise a traditional conference for 2023, hence we have decided to run Learn X Design 2023 as a Call for Papers, focusing on the writing and review process only. Final, accepted submissions will be published as part of the Proceedings of Learn X Design series and archived in the DRS Digital Library.
How to participate:
Contributions that respond to the overall theme Futures of Design Education are welcome and we also invite you to consider both the sub-themes and types of contribution as follows:
- Plural modes of knowledge and knowing
- Making visible underrepresented peoples, places, and practices of design education
- Philosophies of design education and/or purpose(s) of design education
- Things, objects, materials, spaces and everything in between
- Approaches, processes, methods and tools in design education
- Pluriversal futures
- Justice and equity
Types of papers
We welcome a variety of written papers in response to the Call, including:
Full papers (3000 – 6000 words) presenting original research, positioning papers, theoretical reflections, methodological considerations, etc.)
Case Studies (4000 words) that describe how a particular person, group, project, event, or situation has been studied and analysed, including the impact on futures of design education.
Statements of pedagogy or practice (2000 – 3000 words) outlining a scenario, experience, description, story, a day in the life of…, a design educator.
Conversations (length dependant on case) offering particular insights through written discussions between educators or researchers around some topic, event, debate, etc.
Letters (1000 – 2000 words) presenting some focused position written to other researchers, future or former selves, the field, etc. as a way of exploring issues in a different way.
Visual Submissions (maximum 2000 words) making use of primarily visual content and structures, including: visual cases; storytelling and narratives; new / developing conceptual frameworks, maps, models.
- 19 January2023: Call for Submission to LxD 2023 Proceedings
- January – May: Writing period (4 months)
- 30 May 2023: Deadline for full submissions
- June – July: Review period (2 months)
- 31 July 2023: Notification to authors
- August – September: Author editing and formatting period
- 30 September 2023: Deadline for final submissions
- October: Final review period
- 31 October: Final author notification
- November: Publication of proceedings on DRS Archive
Contributors are encouraged to use the proceedings template, which can be downloaded from the Learn X Design 2023 website.
All submissions will be managed using the online conference manager. Details and a link for submission will be available from the Learn X Design 2023 website in due course.